和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums - Which is better?

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu



avatar
A mirror
Level: 2

Renshuu or duolingo? Or both?

0
9 days ago
avatar
Sasayaki3
Level: 370

Renshuu has everything and more. Plus, no AI.

I have nothing good to say about Duolingo. I would rather invest in a book to expand my horizons: a graded reading, a shadowing book...


16
9 days ago
avatar
Mrs_Diss
Level: 542

renshuu, that’s barely a question.

duolingo is optimized to keep your attention and to keep you coming back for more. any actual teaching it used to do has been subsumed by that goal.

renshuu actually attempts to teach you japanese.

14
9 days ago
avatar
Shamugan
Level: 881

If you struggle with your motivation, Duolingo. If you don't, renshuu. But check also other apps too, there is a lot of nice app out there and you may find a better compromise. Lot of people silently burn out with renshuu because the basic idea is to learn however you want (including way that makes you burn out) and it has a lot of features.
I would still recommend it over other apps but probably more for late beginners until mid-intermediate, I guess? Well, it depends on your personality and how diligent you are, if you're not easily discouraged, etc. Some beginners love renshuu and don't mind the "freedom"/"complexity" aspect while other just burn out.
And after that, it start to lose its effectiness except for a few things, like memorizing the reading of words and kanji (for that aspect specifically, renshuu is better than some Japanese app even if not as complete for kanji). Also, I'm biased towards renshuu, so keep that in mind :3 (it's the app that allowed me to stay consistent with Japanese... But AFTER having tried other app like Anki, duolingo, etc., which is a important detail).
As for you other question, I recommend choosing a main app and using other app to compement it later if you need to.

3
9 days ago
avatar

Without a doubt, renshuu kao_punch.png.

I've tried using Duolingo before, and all that really stuck to me in 2 years was how to ask for water. Meanwhile, with renshuu, I've learnt more in 3 months than I've ever before kao_joy.png.

renshuu also has guides, games and even a dictionary. Plus, you can customize many things however you want (dashboard, terms you want to add to your schedule, etc.) kao_wonder.png !

There's many more great things about renshuu, but I'll just say a few more. renshuu does NOT use AI, you can "talk" (*cough* I don't know what else to call it *cough*) with other users, and can even receive mail (tap the menu button (3 horizontal lines) and the envelope button to see) to update on what's happening inside the app kao_drink.png !

There's so much more great things about the cutest being alive (*clears throat* the only and only Kao-chan) compared to a certain green owl (*AGRESSIVE COUGHING* Duolingo *EVEN MORE AGRESSIVE COUGHING*). I might be biased, yes, but I've had my experiences, and in this app, they were much better kao_heart.png.

10
9 days ago
avatar

as someone that actually uses both apps, i have some input on this:

each app has their own uses, renshuu is better at actually learning japanese. while duolingo is better at building a strong foundation for japanese and hirigana, katakana and warm ups for both depending on how you feel.

and this is just a me thing but i use duolingo to keep track of how long i use japanese.

but overall if your just starting out i would recommend the first 5 or so units of duolingo and getting at least all the hirigana memorized, and then switch to renshuu as your primary

renshuu teaches you everything except actual speaking and sometimes listening, so both are good

and if your confused on why the others are making a big deal out of the fact duolingo uses AI (aside from the ethical issues) it isn’t very good for learning a language because it makes mistakes, and you can’t fact check those mistakes unless you can physically speak the words your learning

both sites have pros and cons, and i’m trying to be as neutral as possible. but there is a reason everyone here is biased towards renshuu (yours truly included)

as usual i can be wrong i’m not a dictionary kao_dejected.png

6
9 days ago
avatar

ive tried to use doulingo and learned almost nothing. ive been less than a week on renshuu and i know all the hiragana.

doulingo has basically given up on their original purpose, its now a hyper gamified language learning social media.


edit: i forgot to mention, i had basically zero hiragana knowledge every time, each instance was like 1yr apart

5
8 days ago
avatar
ピンクライチ
Level: 179

Okay, so before I was using renshuu, I used duolingo, I spent one year on there improving my Chinese skills (I learn at school) and then 2 years learning Japanese.

In my opinion, I feel like duolingo is alright if you are primarily learning through other means such as at school or on another app, as duolingo can help with speaking and listening practice, however, if you are using it by itself, you actually do not learn too much. Tbh, I feel like I have learnt way more in the 3 months that I have been using renshuu than the 2 years of my Japanese progress on duolingo.

And honestly, in the 3 years that I was using duolingo I noticed that it started to become harder to actually learn and became a lot more like a game, like others are saying in this forum post. For example, when I started, there was a heart system which made it so that you only lost a heart if you made a mistake. But now they've changed it to an energy system which makes it so you can only do a maximum of around 3 lessons a day without having super or having to watch ads to gain more energy. And honestly, both of these systems are quite bad for beginner learners as they punish beginners for making mistakes.

Renshuu on the other hand does not have these systems which punish you for making mistakes, and I find that this encourages me in my studies a lot more.

Also in duolingo, you hardly ever revise words that you learnt in previous units; you just spend ages learning one unit and then never see some of those words again. Renshuu is a lot better for remembering stuff as in each quiz you revise the new words that you have learnt as well as the old ones.

So honestly, I would definitely recommend renshuu a lot more than duolingo. (sorry for my yapping kao_dejected.png)

4
8 days ago
avatar

I'd just like to note that the AI/text-to-speech audio Duolingo uses has a lot of issues. It frequently messes up pitch accents and sometimes uses the wrong readings of certain kanji/words. I'd personally recommend avoiding it, since you can pick up some bad habits. Specifically referring to speaking/listening. Learning from native recordings is always much better.

In fact, in some cases you wouldn't even be able to tell what the audio is trying to say without looking at the text... this is both from my own experience and from what I've heard native speakers say.


I'd love to say that both platforms have their pros and cons, but I'm honestly not sure what Duolingo's pros are... I guess it's more approachable as a beginner? I'm really not sure.

Maybe I'd still recommend it if the sentence discussions where still a thing, but those got removed a long time ago. Perhaps they were too helpful, so Duo removed them to keep beginners around for longer kao_shiawase.png


PS: I don't have anything against people who use/like Duo, I'm just sharing my opinion :)

6
8 days ago
avatar
Wilder-kun
Level: 145

Renshuu because Duolingo uses AI so it makes mistakes kao_no.png but renshuu is human checked so there is a lot less mistakes kao_yes.png

3
8 days ago
avatar
Wilder-kun
Level: 145

Also I’m pretty sure that the accents are wrong.kao_shocking.png

1
8 days ago
avatar
Starlover
Level: 225

Renshuu is better than Duolingo. However, if you’re looking for a more video game-feel for learning Japanese, have you tried Wagotabi? It’s dictionary isn’t as good as Renshuu since it’s still being worked on, but it provides context for when to use various sentences.

4
8 days ago
avatar
Redpepperbeard
Level: 7

I used duolingo for 6 months up until this month. Solid basis for hiragana, katakana, and Kanji once you make it far enough. Simple words and phrases can be easily learned. Higher tier is locked behind lessons which you can unlock if your show the aptitude for it.


Renshuu is as in depth as you need it when you need it without having to wait for energy

2
8 days ago
avatar
ピンクライチ
Level: 179
Wilder-kun (09月27日, 0:22)
Also I’m pretty sure that the accents are wrong.kao_shocking.png

​Oh oops, I didn't know that I should probably stop using it to practice Chinese listening comprehension then kao_worry.png

1
7 days ago
Getting the posts




Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana