和英辞典Vocabulary dictionary

漢字辞典 Kanji dictionary

文法辞典 Grammar dictionary

例文検索 Sentence lookup

test
 

掲示板 Forums - Different option for Kanji retrieval exercises

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements



avatar
(deleted user)
Level: 1

I don't know if this is already a thing and I just haven't found it, but I find myself wishing for an option that would have the app throw an English word at me that I'm supposed to know the kanji for without showing me any options or any hints whatsoever.

Say it comes up with "rain" and then I have to see if I remember how to write that. This is a fundamentally different kind of information retrieval process, neurologically, than if I just picked from a list of options, where I can just rule out the wrong ones, or if I practiced the same known kanji over and over while being able to see my prior attempts.

I know that there is a "Kanji stroke order" exercise type. Since I haven't actually been able to figure out how to include in any of my quizzes, I don't know for absolute certain that that's not what I mean, but I don't think it is, because I wouldn't want to see anything about the character at all except the English word. Currently, I have a list of all my "known Kanji" on renshuu that I use a randomizer to pick from, but I'd love to just be able to do that here instead of having to manually add new terms to a separate list.

kao_sassy.pngありがとうございます!

0
16 days ago
avatar
Anonymous123
Level: 1679

If you turn on the Meaning -> Kanji vector and check the Type/write the answer when possible, Use for kanji answers

That should give you what you want

From Dashboard -> Click on Vocab schedule name -> Click gear icon for settings ->

Select Type/write the answer when possible - > Select Use for kanji answers

Click on change these for Currently studying: -> Check Meaning -> Japanese -> Meaning -> Kanji -> Save


Then add vocab to the schedule containing or consisting only of those kanji that you want to practice

1
16 days ago
avatar
(deleted user)
Level: 1

Thank you.

However it's not quite right, because the drawing pad for Kanji answers still recognizes characters that are significantly off. It correctly identified 金 as my intended answer when I drew it without the second horizontal stroke, providing it as an option and giving me a way to submit a correct answer I did not actually know, but no way to submit my wrong answer, since there's no actual Kanji that looks like what I drew. There is no other type of quiz on renshuu that cannot mark a wrong answer as wrong.

Also, it appears impossible to set up practice for these Kanji by association with all the same readings and meanings that you are given when the Kanji schedules introduce them to you. For example, 書 is introduced as meaning "write", but you can only generate a quiz question that expects just this Kanji as an answer if the term in your schedule is "letter." Because the verb obviously needs to actually contain the hiragana tail, and while you can add single Kanji from the index to schedules, this applies only to Kanji schedules, not to vocabulary ones.


Still, perhaps that would be prohibitively difficult to set up and we ought to settle for this. That's fine. I'm not as unreasonable as I sound. But even then, given that you have a thousand levels in renshuu, I have to imagine it would take new users a long time to think to even do that, despite it being a very useful feature for language acquisition very early on. Might still be good to have something pre-set for that, the way rensuu's pre-existing schedules are.

I think what feels especially counterintuitive to me is that this has to be a vocabulary schedule instead of a kanji schedule. Like you just can't do this to Kanji schedules (setting them up to make you type the answer). This isn't criticism of the platform necessarily, because I don't think I could put together a webpage that opens, let alone all of this, but the fact remains that this is a very useful retrieval skill that is actually fundamental to fluency and it's really convoluted to set up... Especially if people expect renshuu to work like any other language app, which it (wonderfully) doesn't, but that makes getting through the documentation almost more work than getting through the lessons.


I mean, I will do what you said, but I suspect newcomers would generally appreciate eventually not having to do all of that just for this. It's less of a caprice unique to me and more of a baseline thing that native language learners have to do all the time.

___

Every ten minutes, I think about this some more and this reply keeps getting longer. I'm going to stop here, but hopefully my point is clear.

0
16 days ago
avatar
マイコー
Level: 346

Although this user is no longer on renshuu - it is not quite possible to make the writing pad in a way where it could only accept "correct" versions of the writing. However, this is what the "I don't know" button is for - it should be available for all question types. In addition to simply not knowing the answer, if you ever feel like you got the answer by "cheating", then you can use this :)

As to the rest of their response: renshuu is an un-opinionated platform, and it pays the "tax" for that with the increased complexity you speak of. This is something that I, as the developer, accept and embrace. It drives away users, but it also keeps users for years and years because they can, in most (but naturally, not all) cases, get renshuu much closer to their desired learning style than just about everything else out there.

Additionally, there are very few presets that work for even the majority of people, but we all (the OP and myself included) tend to fall into the mindset of "this works for me, so I bet it works for a lot of other people". This is not a criticism of any individual, it's simply a tendency that we humans tend to fall into.

So, I could switch the presets, but that would anger and/of frustrate another significantly large group of users. I could add more steps in the onboarding (either at the top, or when adding a new schedule), but I would (and have) lose users who don't want all those questions, they just want to jump in.

Each "opinion" or choice has a cost, and so I just went with a "let's just give them 'all' the choices", and I'll pay the cost of losing users who might only be comfortable with a more opinonated system (of which there are plenty, so they have lots of good choices!).

0
1 day ago
Getting the posts




Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements


Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:





Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana