Inkheart (09月25日, 7:10)
Wow that's impressive!! :hardy_kao_clap: Funnily enough, I was just wondering what happened to this thread and I realized I mystically unsubscribed I had a dream recently that really got me thinking on a new story concept; I might share it soon if I can figure out the logistics
I've been working on a story that takes place in a dimension with a lot of rules that are different from Earth, and while it's generally really fun to make up words and physics, there's one thing I've been struggling with. It's all written in first person, and the people in the dimension have essentially no concept of time (as in, time moves the same, but they have no days and don't know what minutes, hours, etc are). The word "moment" has been very useful so far, but I don't want to repeat it too often Does anyone have any ideas on how I can be more descriptive with time without breaking lore? Or did I kind of just softlock myself here I'm not really sure how they schedule their meetings haha, I'd like to address it but may just have to skirt around it if I can't figure it out...
おきび (09月24日, 23:03) Does anyone have any ideas on how I can be more descriptive with time without breaking lore? Or did I kind of just softlock myself here I'm not really sure how they schedule their meetings haha, I'd like to address it but may just have to skirt around it if I can't figure it out...
Prior to clocks, people used the sun to tell time. Sun rise, noon (sun at its highest point) and sunset are the times people meet, because they are easy for anyone to identify. An alternative method for towns had someone ring bell chimes or fire a cannon. People could coordinate their activities around those.
If you want something more accurate, you could use sundials, and say the direction the shadow is pointing.
Well, if there are no days, then there probably isn’t anything like a sun that rises and sets. Assuming your world is still round, there might or might not be something in the sky that can be tracked over a regular period, but no matter what, you’d have to have biological clocks. People, if they are anything like us, need regular meals and rest periods. You can build your timekeeping around that.
Well, if there are no days, then there probably isn’t anything like a sun that rises and sets. Assuming your world is still round, there might or might not be something in the sky that can be tracked over a regular period, but no matter what, you’d have to have biological clocks. People, if they are anything like us, need regular meals and rest periods. You can build your timekeeping around that.
That's a great point Might also work pretty well with the social structure, since only the high-ranking people can eat regularly, so maybe they could have a superior sense of time due to that. Thank you very much!